Halala Kanda Villa
6 5 12
A beautiful renovation of a wonderful old house
Picture perfect villa
|Available for longterm
|Available for weddings
|Suitable for children
|Suitable for elderly
|Suitable for wheelchairs
- Air conditioning
- King Size bed
- Bed Linen
- Sofa bed
- Dressing areas
- En-suite bathroom
- Gas stove
- Dish washer
- Freezer (standalone)
- Fridge (standalone)
- Coffee machine
- Pots and Pans
- Lounge seating
- Air conditioning
- Sun beds / chairs
- BBQ / Bar area
- Pizza oven
The Halala Kanda residence is located high on a plantation hillside near the Southern-most tip of Sri Lanka, in a village area known as Welipitya, Weligama.
Bounded by lush jungle and velvet green rice paddies, the nearest town is Weligama, which is a gentle 15 minutes away by tuk-tuk. Weligama is recognised as Sri Lanka’s gemstone capital and is also a busy fishing town, with a wide horseshoe bay and bustling fish and general produce markets.
From Colombo, the trip south to the residence is a relaxed 2 hour drive down the quiet inland Southern Expressway.
Alternatively, for a more enthralling experience, Sri Lankan Railways Coastal Line, carries travellers on an invigorating 4 hour trip sight-seeing through beachside towns and villages to nearby Weligama station.
Our trusted and experienced driver, Charith, can meet you in Colombo or Weligama and ensure a relaxed journey to our home.
Include all taxes - No booking fees
- Staff service
- Daily breakfast
- The minimum stay at Halala Kanda is for 2 nights, except for Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year and Easter when the minimum is for 5 nights
The following cancellation charges will be applicable depending on when the notification of the cancellation is received in writing:
30 days or more before arrival date:
* Deposit forfeited - but credited for 9 months from the date of the cancellation confirmation by the management company. The credit can be used by the client or anyone on their behalf for a reservation for the same villa and during any period.
Within 30 days of arrival date:
* All rental payments are forfeited.
* The above cancellation charges also apply if the management company cancels the booking due to non-payment of the balance. If the dates of the booking require to be changed or amended, this may be treated as a cancellation of the original booking and cancellation charges may apply.
* Any change to the original reservation is subject to the approval of the management company.
* Early departure penalty will be subject to negotiation with the management company.
Shall the party wish to change villa on arrival, a minimum 3 days notice is required or will be charged as a cancellation fee. Any differences in published rates between the villas are also applicable and will be charged to the Guests. Shall the alternative villa be cheaper, no refund will be made.
* To guarantee this booking in the first instance, you will be required to pay a deposit equivalent to 30% of the total rental due or 50% for Christmas and New Year period.
* Full balance is due at least 30 days prior to arrival
Last minute reservation
* In case of reservation within 30 days of arrival, full payment may be requested at once before the arrival date
Kindly inform upon confirmation of your reservation, which form of payment would be preferred.
* Payments may be made by Telegraphic Transfer to our company bank account or through an online payment gateway with your credit card (visa or master card).
* If payment by credit card is preferred this will incur a 3.9% admin fee.
A place to escape and recharge
Halala Kanda, or Firefly Hill, was built in 1912 by Simonmeru Gunathilaka, the romantic son of a wealthy plantation estates owner from the north of Sri Lanka, to win the heart of his young local bride.
After many decades empty, the estate was re-discovered in 2010, overrun with jungle and near ruin. A labour of love, the new South Pacific owners, chose to work with local craftsmen, to restore the house back to its former opulent splendour, whilst adding their own eclectic design aesthetic.
Set in the lush plantation hills of Weligama, Halala Kanda once more offers a serene oasis to relax and recharge, yet is within easy reach of the pristine southern beaches and the historic charm of Galle.
On first entering the house through its wide covered verandah, you walk into the palatial hallway lounge, with its towering 20m high barrel vault ceilings and a superb collection on Sri Lankan antique and contemporary collectables.
Off the hallway lounge, is the enchanting Room of Curiosities, which is an eclectic place to curl up with a favourite book or partake in drinks and a hand of cards.
And whether it’s the sumptuous conversation pit poolside at The Folly, or the antique chaises dotted around the internal courtyard verandah, quiet escapes are many and varied.
Halala Kanda nestles within two idyllic acres of gardens. When machetes were laid to the jungle, which had enveloped the property, they revealed carefully planted lines of coconut palms, and orchards of cashew nut, ebony wood, mangosteen and mango.These original discoveries have been brought back to life and supplemented with generous plantings of tea and coffee rows, pineapple groves, pepper and cinnamon vines, citrus trees and even a spice and vegetable garden. Just steps from the main house, is Halala Kanda’s pristine salt-water pool, at 23 meters long, it is the perfect spot to work off the calories and let the stresses of the day melt away. And with its view stretching off across the jungle and paddy fields to the coast, it’s also a relaxing spot to dabble at the pool edge and watch life go by. Book-ending the pool, is a remarkable space known as ‘The Folly’. Designed in an art-deco style, it is a luxuriously appointed conversation pit, ideal for early evening drinks while watching the sun slide slowly over the horizon.